Equine Herpesvirus 1 (EHV-1) Fluxergy Test Kit
Rapid and clinically-relevant detection of EHV-1 from an equine nasal swab sample.
Rapid Test Results: Fast, accurate diagnostics that can improve patient diagnoses.
Stall-side care with minimal hands-on time per sample: Test before introducing a horse to a population or for fever of unknown origin (FUO).
Give your clients answers and peace of mind within 1 hour from sample collection.
- Ideal for show grounds, equine facilities, boarding barns, or breeding farms that are concerned with respiratory pathogens.
No Fluxergy products have been cleared or approved by the USDA for veterinary diagnostic use. Fluxergy’s current veterinary product offerings are limited to
individual laboratory components for use by experienced professional users in developing their own laboratory tests for research or animal use.
Equine Herpesvirus 1 (EHV-1) is a common and burdensome DNA virus in horse populations globally. It is highly contagious and spreads through direct horse-to-horse contact or indirect contact e.g. contaminated hands, equipment. Moreover, the neurologic form of the disease is particularly troublesome due to associated degrees of paralysis and is seen in approximately 10% of infected horses.
Current diagnostic testing requires use of PCR for specific diagnosis as clinical signs of EHV-1 mimic that of other respiratory pathogens and neurological diseases.
Due to the different presentations of EHV-1, correct and timely testing helps improve biosecurity.
Who We Work With
Validated against Clinical Samples
The study design will test the ability of the Fluxergy PCR EHV-1 Assay to detect contrived, near LoD samples in
individually collected equine nasal swab matrix samples. The nasal swab samples will be collected and confirmed as
as negatives by PCR (Validated commercial S. equi Test). Contrived samples included the following concentrations:
2x LoD and above with Equine herpesvirus 1 virus USDA strain (# 045-EDV). Native (Negative) and contrived
(Positive) samples will be tested with Fluxergy Assay PCR EHV-1 Test.
The LoD of the Fluxergy Assay PCR EHV-1 Test was performed with enumerated Equine herpesvirus 1 virus USDA
strain (# 045-EDV). The virus stock was serially diluted to 0.028 copies/μL within pooled negative equine nasal swab
matrix. Third LoD confirmation was tested at 1000 copies/mL with 20/20 tested (LoD of 1000 copies/mL).
The following potentially interfering substances from equine upper respiratory system were tested for assay
interference using samples containing EHV1 045-EDV strain at 3x LoD. Testing was performed in triplicate at the
indicted levels. No interference was observed.
|Test Type||PCR, Direct PCR|
|Time to Result||~55 minutes|
|Sample Preparation||~3 min from reagent thaw, No extraction required.|
|Sample Type||NP in 3 mL VTM. See Accepted VTMs*|
|Required Sample Volume||42 uL|
|Storage||(Flux Card) 10° to 30°C, (Flux Reaction Mix) -10° to -30°C|
|Gene Target||gB nd gD|
|Format||10 vials, 100 vials, Bulk Plate Reagents|
|Reader Compatibility||High Throughput thermocycler, Fluxergy Analyzer|
|Cartridge Compatability||8 well strip, PCR plate, Fluxergy Card|
|Analyzer Size||26.19 cm x 13.13 cm x 25.80 cm|
|Analyzer Weight||6.8 kg|
|Power Input||12VDC, 7A|
|Operating Temperature||15° – 30°C|
|Storage Temperature||15° – 30°C|
|Operating Humidity||10% – 85%|
Computer Reqs. (Recommended)
OS must be 64-bit, Windows 10+. Intel i5 2.5GHz or equivalent, 8GB DDR4 RAM, HDD: 250 GB, Screen 1080p, USB: 2×2.0 port, Networking: Ethernet port
A Veterinary Tool for Every Equine Facility
On-site testing allows for you to initially prevent spread and react when outbreaks occur:
- Facilities and Barns
- Clinics & Referral Hospitals
- Ambulatory Practices
- Veterinary Teaching Hospitals
Frequently Asked Questions
In recent years, EHV-1 outbreaks at local and FEI shows have had drastic consequences, including numerous horses lost, dozens of show cancellations, and strict quarantines. Because some sectors of the equine community compete throughout the season, multiple shows, barns, and geographic regions can be at risk within a few days.
Yes, EHV-1 has been identified on wood shavings, leather, and other supplies for at least 48 hours, even on items stored outside or in cool temperatures. These findings emphasize the need for increased biosecurity, particularly within high-volume equine-related facilities.
Multiple outbreaks have occurred due to the arrival or return of horses, including clinically healthy horses. Incorporating EHV-1 monitoring–especially for horses traveling from high-risk areas or events–better protects local and international equine populations.
- Management of an EHV-1 outbreak at FEI events and its international impact. (2021). The Veterinary Record, 189(5), e905. https://doi.org/10.1002/VETR.905
- Saklou, N. T., Burgess, B. A., Ashton, L. V., Morley, P. S., & Goehring, L. S. (2021). Environmental persistence of equid herpesvirus type-1. Equine Veterinary Journal, 53(2), 349–355. https://doi.org/10.1111/EVJ.13313
- Friday, P. A., Scarratt, W. K., Elvinger, F., Timoney, P. J., & Bonda, A. (2000). Ataxia and paresis with equine herpesvirus type 1 infection in a herd of riding school horses. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine / American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 14(2), 197–201. https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1939-1676.2000.TB02236.X
- Smith, F. L., Watson, J. L., Spier, S. J., Kilcoyne, I., Mapes, S., Sonder, C., & Pusterla, N. (2018). Frequency of shedding of respiratory pathogens in horses recently imported to the United States. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 32(4), 1436–1441. https://doi.org/10.1111/JVIM.15145
- Irwin, V. L., Traub-Dargatz, J. L., Newton, J. R., Scase, T. J., Davis-Poynter, N. J., Nugent, J., Creis, L., Leaman, T. R., & Smith, K. C. (2007). Investigation and management of an outbreak of abortion related to equine herpesvirus type 1 in unvaccinated ponies. Veterinary Record, 160(11), 378–380. https://doi.org/10.1136/VR.160.11.378
What Experts Say About Fluxergy
Get to know Fluxergy, our vision, mission, and values. Learn more by downloading our Corporate Deck.